Global WHED ID
NEW FEATURE: THE GLOBAL WHED ID
The constant and rapid development of the higher education landscape, on all continents, triggered discussions with key stakeholders on the need to facilitate the identification of higher education institutions. This led to the development of a new feature called Global WHED ID, which uniquely identifies each higher education institution listed in the World Higher Education Database (WHED).
This project gained additional momentum in connection during the drafting process of the UNESCO Global Convention on the recognition of higher education qualifications, submitted for adoption at the UNESCO General Conference (IAU took part in the process). This Convention adopted in November 2019 and dedicated to recognition of higher education qualifications aims to increase the transparency of the global higher education landscape at the global level, and to enhance orientation through the ever-expanding field of higher education, by providing a standard for the listings of accredited higher education institutions.
The new development serves several major goals that are dear to the Association:
- Foster transparency of higher education on a global scale;
- Make available information on higher education systems and the list of nationally accredited higher education institutions to all;
- Help facilitate communication within the global higher education community;
- Address the needs of Higher Education stakeholders seeking to identify accredited HE institutions and gather information on them;
- Increase access, speed and the reliability of information;
- Provide better overall administrative certainty;
- Finally yet importantly, it aims at combating fraud in higher education.
All stakeholders, whether they be higher education experts, researchers, accreditation officers, international student officers, UN agencies, or HR administrators, to name but a few.
SPECIAL BENEFIT FOR IAU MEMBERS
The visibility of IAU Members is facilated in WHED through a permalink.